Abbreviation Errors

Forums Healthcare Documentation Course Course Support Abbreviation Errors

Participant

I have just completed the Pharmacology transcription portion of the course and found it difficult to be consistent with the medical abbreviations and what the expectations were. One dictator would use an abbreviation for QHS to mean nightly. I transcribed as he/she said but the abbreviation but it was supposed to be spelled out. Then in his/her next report of the same kind of format she would say an abbreviation so I spelled it out that time and got it wrong. It should all have been abbreviated, ie. IM, b.i.d., p.o q. day p.r.n. etc.

I am confused on what the rules are and what I should be following. I feel like its a guessing game with a lot of these reports…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Replies
  • C Bruce
    Participant

Hi there,

There is a section in the account specifics that discusses abbreviations. This is a quote:

• Dangerous abbreviations, as per the Book of Style, should not be used.  Please refer to the Book of Style 9.3.1 and 9.3.2 for a list of dangerous abbreviations that should be avoided.

Search through the BOS references to find qhs, and I think you will find your answer.

The account specifics contain a lot of important information that will help you throughout the course. Reading them each day until you know them thoroughly will help take away the “guessing game” feeling you’re experiencing.

Hope this helps.

Laurie Monks
    Participant

Hi there!

In addition to C. Bruce’s great tips, I would also suggest you look at this link (https://www.elearn.training/d2l/le/content/6726/viewContent/30506/View) for a list of the dangerous abbreviations all on 1 page together. This is a bit easier than flipping through multiple pages in BOS.

Thanks very much!

Laurie Monks, Instructor

TanyaB
    Participant

Hello!

I have come across an abbreviation that I am curious about. The abbreviation is DTR. I have looked it up on Stedman’s and 2 items come up under that abbreviation. Deep tendon reflex and Dietetic Technician Registered.

Is this an abbreviation that needs to be expanded? Do I capitalize each word if it needs to be expanded?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tanya B

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by TanyaB.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.