Body as a whole

Forums Healthcare Documentation Course Course Support Body as a whole

Participant

I am at the transcription portion of this section and oh my they are hard to make out.  Did anyone else struggle with this section? If so, do you have any tips on how to make them out?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replies
  • Krista Johnson
    Participant

That was the portion that really stressed me out as well. I would listen to the whole thing at normal speed and type any words I could hear, then at .5 speed a few times, then back to full speed. I found I left quite a few blanks but in the end that was alright. Better to leave blanks after doing your best, and just move on!

Joeleen Fox
    Participant

Thank you for the tip.  Did you find things got a bit easier for you after this section?  I haven’t found it that bad until this section.

Krista Johnson
    Participant

It definitely got easier! You got this 🙂

Karen Dempster
    Participant

Hi! YES!!!  This was a startling wake up call for me too… I also listened to them at different speeds, with and without headphones to help.  In the end, there were blanks left.  I just couldn’t make out some of the medications.  I even looked up different medications at the same time as listening hoping something would jump out at me.  I’m sorry we are all finding this part challenging, however, I am relieved that I’m not the only one that was a little surprised at the sudden jump in difficulty!

Sarah
    Participant

I found it super frustrating as well since I felt I had done ok on the previous transcriptions.  I often would listen then type out as much as I could.  I would try it fast and slow.  Then I would walk away and try again a few hours later.  For some reason that helped at times.  I am also looking for clues about diagnosis to help figure out medications.  The medication look up site is helpful also.

Joanna Ujfalussy
    Participant

I had a lot of meltdowns over this chapter as it was the first wake-up call for me, as I am sure it is for others too. Just remember the motto “If you can’t make it out, throw it out”. If you find you can’t make out what they are saying then just leave a blank and move on. Go back to your blank later and you will be surprised what you can pick up on 2nd time around. Also I found trying different pairs of headphones helped. It was amazing how much better it sounded on other sets.

Michelle Coish
    Participant

I also found this chapter really challenging, same with the muscular system.  Like everyone else here, this was my big reality check, as I have a health care background and thought I was going to breeze through this course.  It is hard and requires different skills than many other professions!  My scores dropped significant with these chapters, and it is not necessary a big red flag.

I wish I had left more blanks than I did and just could have taken the hit for a protocol failure on excessive blanks.  I definitely got too hung up on having an average of less than a blank every 15 seconds on average.  Some times it is just necessary while your ear is adapting.  It does get better though.  Definitely listen back through with the answer key once you’re finish.  I went back and listened to some of my body as a whole transcriptions and I can hear everything so much clearer now, so it is an effective tip.

I also really found that it really helped to transcribe as much as I could with leaving as many blanks as I needed, then editing everything else, coming back to the blanks and listening a few times at half and full speed, then relistening to the whole thing again at half and full speed helped.  FX Sound was also a worthwhile purchase, and I found that the headphones school provided where better for the little words or really mumbly phrases than iPhone or old Beats headphones.

Dara Simpson
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I know this is not entirely dictation based, but do any of you struggle with the headphones bothering your ears? Are you using your own or are you using the provided set? Do you perhaps have any recommendations on a good headset?
    I have little ears and so I find these really start to get painful after a little while.

Thank you!

Shawna Fawcett
    Participant

Dara, in regard to the headset question, I definitely  recommend getting a comfortable headset.  It will make all the difference in comfort and sound.  I personally use the Skull Candy Hesh 3 headset because I wear glasses and found other headsets really bothered me if I wore them for a long period of time.  It is personal preference though, so I would suggest trying several until you find one to suits you.

cbourbonnais
    Participant

To add onto the above regarding headsets, you may look into ordering some replacement headset pads (or replacement tips for earbuds).  Sometimes this can be a more cost-effective solution to making your headphones more comfortable.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.