Focus

Participant

Is anyone else having issues with focusing on transcriptions when the sound is not clear? One of the biggest issues for me is trying to focus when the dictator seems to be blurry or speeds through the assessments making them hard to follow even when slowed down to .5. Does anyone have any tips?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replies
  • Janice Miller
    Participant

I have been having the same issues. I can understand the school wanting to challenge us by making some words with sound alikes, misspelled medical words, and some other things more challenging.

But heck making the whole transcription inaudible does not make sense to me, or even the beginning of the transcript, as we are not able to guess, and transcriptions marked by the instructors, are included in our over all mark.

That really throws our time off, not to mention wanting to pull your hair out and wishing you had the one in front of you-wanting to pull their hair out too!!?

I hope they change that in the future, because I could not possibly say to another that is a a great program, knowing what my challenges were. I also had 2 transcriptions (voice recognition ones already typed up)that had nothing to do with the transcription itself in the muscular section.

We need just enough inaudible transcriptions to get the point across to us, and the rest of them should be giving us the experience that we came for.

Janice Miller

JMWEEKS
    Participant

I agree completely.  I too, have been having these same issues.  There are times that I spend hours on a report trying to decipher it.  I have tried different audio settings, slowed it down, sped it up, turned the volume up and down, nothing works.  Like you said, we cannot guess, and we are supposed to leave as few blanks as possible, and also, we do not know which transcriptions are going to be picked to be graded by Instructor, so do not want to take a chance on doing badly on a transcription and getting a bad overall mark.

I have had a couple low marks in transcription sections on overall grades for the chapters because I guessed and couldn’t figure out words.  It is very frustrating.  I even tried different headphones, a few different pair.  I noticed a few transcriptions that had speech recognition templates in them that didn’t match barely anything that was said by the dictator, but that is not as frustrating as the transcriptions that are so muffled and low and slurred together, and can barely get a word out of them.  After hours and hours still can’t figure it out which is my problem right now with the transcription I am on.

We are told not to spend hours on any 1 report, but how is that possible with transcriptions like that/this?

Jonnie-Marie Weeks

LeneMomTo5
    Participant

I came into this forum specifically to see if anyone else was having this issue.  I just finished the transcriptions in the Body as a Whole chapter and there were a few that were awful. I know we’re being trained to have a ‘listening ear’ but I really don’t understand why some doctors feel the need to speak so quickly!

Arlene

I’m currently working through the Body as a Whole transcriptions and some of them are literal headaches.  I hope they’re not all like this.  I may have to work at something on my end, but these are really difficult.

LeneMomTo5
    Participant

I wanted to respond because I am now at the end of the course, about to enter my practicum.  In my post above from almost a year ago I was so frustrated.  I can now say there is definitely a “method to the madness”.  I feel like reports that were once so frustrating are now easy to transcribe.  There was a point, about half-way through the course, that I was seriously beginning to doubt my choice to do this as a career.  Then, everything just seemed to come together and here I am.  Hang in there, I promise it gets easier :).

Thank you so much for your input.  That’s very reassuring.

Regards.

Dawn prest
    Participant

As a graduate of this course, I feel I need to let you know that it does get easier.  I too had this same issue in the Body as a Whole chapter…it was really tough!  Hang in there it does get easier.  🙂

Breanna Kinna
    Participant

I am working through the Cardiology B chapter now but also had a lot of difficulty with the Body as a Whole chapter. I always save the difficult ones until the end as I feel I have a better grasp on the language and my ear is better trained. I also type out what I can, go do something else (either another transcription or take a break) and I find it helps a lot. Another thing I have found useful is to type out as much of a specific word or medication in all CAPS, then when I am doing my proofreading I know which words I need to check and google is actually really helpful (if you can get even a little bit of the spelling right) it usually find the right word/medication.

I was also doing some looking online on how to help develop a listening ear and I found one transcriptionist who watched movies/videos/music videos on youTube with the subtitles on. I haven’t had a chance to try this myself but I can definitely see how it would help, especially music videos where I quite often can’t understand lyrics (metal, rock, etc).

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.